George S. McElwee
- Managing Partner, Commonwealth Strategic Partners
- Vice President, Public Policy & Government Affairs, Organization for International Investment (OFII)
- Chief of Staff, Congressman Charles W. Dent (R-PA)
- Director, Federal Government Affairs, American Financial Services Association (AFSA)
- Staff Assistant, Office of Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)
- United States Navy Reserve, O-3, Public Affairs Officer
- Flag Assistant, Vice Chief of Information
- Reserve Officers Association (ROA), Executive Committee (2013-2017)
- ROA - Department of the National Capital Region, President (2015-2017)
- Navy Reserve Capitol Hill Wardroom, Vice President
- Pennsylvania Society of Washington, D.C., Member
- House Chiefs of Staff Association, President (2009-2011)
- Senior Stennis Fellow, 112th Congress
- Shippensburg University Alumni Association, Board Member (2011-2014)
- National Defense University, M.A., Strategic Security Studies
- George Washington University, Graduate Certificate, PACs & Political Management
- Air University, Air Command Staff College, JPME Phase I
- Defense Information School, Fort George G. Meade, PAQC
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science
- Northampton Community College
GEORGE S. MCELWEE is a founding member and managing partner of Commonwealth Strategic Partners (CSP). George brings over 19 years of experience to CSP having worked in both the public and private sectors.
In his leadership role at CSP, George provides clients with government relations support and guidance on a wide range of legislative and regulatory issues. This includes serving as the principal representative in Washington, D.C. for Ionic Security and the National Technology Security Coalition to develop and execute a federal cyber policy strategy; executing a successful cybersecurity briefing on behalf of Second Front Systems for the Congressional Smart Contracting Caucus; and securing language in the FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 to mandate drug and alcohol testing and background investigations of foreign repair station employees.
Before forming CSP, George served as the chief lobbyist to the Organization for International Investment (OFII) representing more than 160 U.S. subsidiaries of leading global companies. As Vice President, Public Policy & Government Affairs, George was responsible for advising association members and policy makers on Buy America, corporate inversions, corporate tax, international trade agreements, and tax treaties. George strategically expanded OFII’s advocacy presence with Congress, the Administration, and state and local governments. Working with Congressmen Kevin Brady (R-TX) and Jim Moran (D-VA), George established the first congressional caucus devoted solely to promoting the benefits of foreign direct investment in the United States – the American Global Investment Caucus.
From 2005-2013, George served as Chief of Staff to Congressman Charlie Dent (R-PA), implementing the Congressman’s overall legislative, communication, and political vision and winning five consecutive Congressional elections. While working for Congressman Dent, George developed and executed a long-term strategy to secure a seat on the coveted House Committee on Appropriations. During his seven terms (2005-2018) in Congress, Charlie Dent served as chairman of the Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agency; chairman of the House Committee on Ethics; and co-chair of the Tuesday Group.
With a reputation of bipartisanship and diligent service, George was elected in 2009 by his peers to serve as President of the House Chiefs of Staff Association—a bipartisan association of almost 500 current chiefs of staff and committee staff directors. George held the position for three years, becoming the longest serving president in the association’s 36-year history.
Prior to working for Congressman Dent, George spent five years as Director, Federal Government Affairs for the American Financial Services Association (AFSA), a national trade association representing the consumer credit and finance industry, and on the staff of former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA).
A commissioned officer in the United States Navy Reserve, Lieutenant McElwee is a public affairs officer assigned to U.S. Navy Chief of Information (CHINFO), Pentagon. Lieutenant McElwee’s previous assignments include Flag Assistant to the Vice Chief of Information, U.S. Fleet Forces (USFF) Command, and Navy Public Affairs Support Element (NPASE) East.
George holds a Master of Arts in Strategic Security Studies from the College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University; a Graduate Certificate in PACs and Political Management from the Graduate School of Political Management, George Washington University; Joint Professional Military Education, Phase I from Air Command and Staff College, Air University; a graduate of Public Affairs Qualification Course from Defense Information School, Fort George G. Meade; a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania; and studied at Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA.