Sean D. Schafer
“CSP has provided us the best service and helped us meet our goals and build success.”
Sean D. Schafer
Director, Pennsylvania Operations
For more than 11 years Sean has been a trusted advisor and expert voice on politics and government relations. From working for elected officials to representing clients in the gaming industry, Sean has had the opportunity to hone his strategic and legislative skill sets on high-pressure, high-profile issues for the majority of his career. As Director of Pennsylvania Operations since 2019, Sean now brings those same skills to work for CSP’s clients.
Between 2008 and 2014, Sean worked for Pennsylvania State Senator Robert “Tommy” Tomlinson (PA’s Sixth Senatorial District) serving him in numerous roles including as his Chief of Staff. As Senator Tomlinson’s Chief of Staff Sean was instrumental in crafting legislation related to the Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure Committee of which Senator Tomlinson is the Chairman. Sean was also instrumental in crafting and working on legislation related to the gaming industry in Pennsylvania.
In 2015 Sean joined Duane Morris, LLP to represent clients in the areas of gaming law, administrative law, municipal law, and corporate litigation. During this time, Sean advised clients in the midst of some of the largest mergers and acquisitions that took place in the world’s gaming sector. He also advised local clients in the gaming regulatory realm in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Sean returned to the world of politics as the in-house Director of Government Relations for PARX Casino, Pennsylvania’s top casino in terms of revenue. He advised the casino on its legislative agenda and priorities, and he was on the ground in Harrisburg to lobby the state on the casino’s behalf.
Bucks County Commissioners unanimously voted Sean onto the Board of Directors of the Bucks County Redevelopment Authority. In 2016 he was elected chairman and currently oversees the staff and projects.
In May of 2020, Sean was nominated by Governor Wolf to serve on the Delaware River Navigation Commission. He was subsequently confirmed by a Senate Vote. As a Commissioner Sean will oversee the Pilots’ Association for The Bay and River Delaware.
- Obtaining a favorable outcome for his casino client when the Pennsylvania Legislature passed the country’s largest gambling expansion bill. The bill, which could have significantly harmed the existing gambling industry, passed with language that instead complemented the gaming industry in Pennsylvania and has been hailed as a success.
- Improving quality of Pennsylvania’s drinking water by helping to pass HB2075. That bill results in far less lead piping in the drinking water system, and includes language that minimizes cost by spreading it across the rate base.
- Chief of Staff, PA State Senator Robert “Tommy” Tomlinson
- Director of Government Relations, PARX Casino
- Chairman, Bucks County Redevelopment Authority
- Associate Attorney, Duane Morris, LLP
- Commissioner, Delaware River Navigation Commission
Awards and Affiliations
- Bucks County Redevelopment Authority
- Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar Associations
- J.D. – Rutgers University School of Law
- B.A. – Penn State University, Abington Campus