George S. McElwee
Founding Member & Managing Partner
George is a founding member and managing partner of Commonwealth Strategic Partners (CSP). He brings more than 20 years of experience in both the public and private sectors, including work in the federal government and as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy Reserve.
George provides CSP’s clients with government relations support and guidance on a wide range of legislative and regulatory issues. This role also includes being the eyes and ears in Washington, D.C. for clients such as Invest in the USA, Ionic Security, Lendmark Financial Services, and the National Technology Security Coalition.
Throughout his career, George’s knowledge of politics and his instinctive ability to connect people of varying backgrounds has led him to consistent success and notoriety among his colleagues. For example, while working as Chief of Staff to U.S. Representative Charles W. Dent (R-PA) George was elected by his peers to serve as President of the House Chiefs of Staff Association – a position he held for three years, making him the longest serving president in the association’s 36-year history.
After working for Mr. Dent, George served as the Organization for International Investment’s (OFII) Vice President, Public Policy & Government Affairs, as the association’s chief lobbyist. He also spent five years as Director, Federal Government Affairs for the American Financial Services Association (AFSA), and worked on the staff of U.S. Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA).
Nominated by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and confirmed by the Pennsylvania Senate, George is a member of the Shippensburg University Council of Trustees. George also serves as a member of the Board of Directors, House Chief of Staff Alumni Association and president of the Navy Reserve Capitol Hill Wardroom.
George is a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy Reserve. Lieutenant Commander McElwee is currently assigned to the Navy Office of Community Outreach (NAVCO). His previous assignments include, Flag Assistant to the U.S. Navy Vice Chief of Information (one-star admiral); U.S. Navy Office of Information; U.S. Fleet Forces Command; and Navy Public Affairs Support Element (NPASE) – East.
- Serving as Chief of Staff to U.S. Representative Charles W. Dent (PA-15) from 2005-2013
- Introduction of the Cybersecurity Advisory Committee Authorization Act in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives
- Nomination and confirmation to serve as a member of the Shippensburg University Council of Trustees
- Managing Partner, Commonwealth Strategic Partners
- Vice President, Public Policy & Government Affairs, Organization for International Investment (OFII)
- Chief of Staff, Congressman Charles W. Dent (R-PA)
- Director, Federal Government Affairs, American Financial Services Association (AFSA)
- Staff Assistant, Office of Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)
Military Career Highlights:
- U.S. Navy Reserve, O-4, Lieutenant Commander, Public Affairs Officer
- Flag Assistant, Vice Chief of Information
- Reserve Organization of America (ROA), Executive Committee (2013-2017)
- ROA – Department of the National Capital Region, President (2015-2017)
Awards & Affiliations:
- Shippensburg University Council of Trustees, Trustee (2020-present)
- Navy Reserve Capitol Hill Wardroom, President
- Pennsylvania Society of Washington, D.C., Member
- House Chiefs of Staff Association, President (2009-2011)
- Senior Stennis Fellow, 112th Congress
- Shippensburg University Alumni Association, Board Member (2011-2014)
- M.A. in Strategic Security Studies – College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University
- Graduate Certificate in PACs and Political Management – George Washington University
- Joint Professional Military Education, Phase I – Air Command and Staff College, Air University
- Public Affairs Qualification Course – Defense Information School, Fort George G. Meade
- B.A. in Political Science – Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
- Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA
“We support a diverse set of clients. Each day is different and it’s up to us to identify opportunities for client success.”
Founding Member & Managing Partner
Services Designed to Boost Support
Government Relations & Lobbying
PAC & Political Consulting